Dream World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Come join us at http://phantasia.freeforums.net/

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Partners (Private/Possibly Mature)

Go down 
2 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Muzical-Echo

Muzical-Echo

Credits : 571

Partners (Private/Possibly Mature) Empty
PostSubject: Partners (Private/Possibly Mature)   Partners (Private/Possibly Mature) I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 16, 2011 6:33 pm

Spotting Joel, Ethan stood up and stretched. He had already gotten most of his paper work caught up. What he hadn’t finished could wait. Walking over to his partner’s desk, he tapped his knuckles against the surface and leaned his hip against it. Looking down at the younger man, he could see how the night had worn on him, and he felt a wave of sympathy. “How are you holding up? Most scenes aren’t that bad, but some of them are even worse. Are you going to be able to handle that?” Ethan didn’t sound as heartless as he wanted to, but he couldn’t bring himself to. The memory of his own reaction to the first brutal scene he had walked in was too fresh in his mind. A million years later, it would still be too fresh in his mind.

Ethan's Looks:
Back to top Go down
OmniLegends

OmniLegends

Credits : 51

PostSubject: Re: Partners (Private/Possibly Mature)   Partners (Private/Possibly Mature) I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 16, 2011 6:46 pm

Though Ethan’s voice was normal, it sounded like an air horn to Joel. He wanted to snap right then and there, but realized his sleepless night was due to his own demons and no one else’s. And something told the younger man that today was not the day to piss Ethan off. Scrubbing his face, he looked into his partner’s eyes, his voice coming off harsher than he wished. “Don’t really have a choice do I? Can’t exactly quit if I’m not ahead and all.” He slammed his head back down onto his forearms, the lacquered wood of his desk all he could see.
Back to top Go down
Muzical-Echo

Muzical-Echo

PostSubject: Re: Partners (Private/Possibly Mature)   Partners (Private/Possibly Mature) I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 16, 2011 6:57 pm

Ethan nodded solemnly. “I wish I could say that it gets easier,” he told him softly, a tight smile appearing on his face for a moment. Patting the young man on the back, he decided to let it go, knowing that it was better to just let him drowse for a bit. “We’re going to head out and try and get a hold of the girl. The lab said that it will have the analysis done by about noon, and that is rushing it. There aren’t many cases though, so the final report shouldn’t take much longer than the preliminary.” His tone was business-like, brisk. He wasn’t going to show sympathy when he assumed it would make the other bristle and get cross. He had better things to do than have his head bitten off for actually caring. Turning away, he returned to his desk, typing once again. There was only a little bit more due, but his eyes felt dry and tired. This was his third night with only three hours of sleep, but at least the nightmares weren’t able to get him when he didn’t sink into a real sleep. Chuckling, he wondered if there was something wrong with his head. He was willing to face a murderer, chase a sociopath down a dark alley, but trembled like a kid at the idea of going to sleep.
Back to top Go down
OmniLegends

OmniLegends

PostSubject: Re: Partners (Private/Possibly Mature)   Partners (Private/Possibly Mature) I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 16, 2011 7:26 pm

In the next two hours at the office, Joel was vaguely aware of figures coming and going as he lapsed in and out of syncope, the darkness inviting him to sink deeper into the murky waters. Always, though, he was splashed with cold reality when he dipped below the surface to find the screams still there in his subconscious. After passing out and waking again for the umpteenth time, Joel found a bit more strength. Enough to raise his head and look around. There was Ethan, clacking away at his keyboard. Working. A pang of guilt hit Joel as a wave of realization washed over him. This was his job now too, and yet he was freeloading. What kind of dream was he living in that this was right? Shaking the sleep away, he stood, the haze on his mind lifting. Blinking and breathing in the dirty, recycled air, he took his first steps toward Ethan for that day. “Sorry for sleeping in. You know how those dead bodies get us young cocky ones.” Joel hoped that the attempt at humility would clear him for his previous actions, but that was a lot to hope for, and he wasn’t much of a gambling man. Drinking maybe, but not gambling.
Back to top Go down
Muzical-Echo

Muzical-Echo

PostSubject: Re: Partners (Private/Possibly Mature)   Partners (Private/Possibly Mature) I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 16, 2011 7:35 pm

The work took less than an hour, but when Ethan glanced over, Joel was still drowsing. Struck with a sudden feeling of generosity, he began to work on Joel’s reports. He couldn’t do all of it, and he knew that, but he covered what he could, doing his best to make certain it sounded more educated and more elegantly phrased than his typical reports. Once that was finished, he took a break to stretch his arms over his head and arch his back. Standing up, he glanced over at the drowsing form of his young partner. More than once, he had shot a dark look or even a sharp word at one of his co-workers, warning them away from Joel. He had done it quietly and discreetly, so not to make a scene. Even if Ethan would have been happier on his own, he didn’t need his partner going through hell. The first week was always the worst. After that, it was easier to just be numb. Once his legs were stretched, he returned to the computer, finding more work to do there. It was such a dull job, but he knew it was necessary and did it without complaint. Hearing footsteps, he glanced back just as he heard Joel’s voice. A tight smile appeared on his face as he stood up once again. “It gets to everyone, but your confidence is going to make it harder for you,” he told him, his tone almost sympathetic. Giving him half a smile, he grabbed his jacket and keys before asking, “You ready to go now? We do need to wrap things up with this, the sooner, the better.”
Back to top Go down
OmniLegends

OmniLegends

PostSubject: Re: Partners (Private/Possibly Mature)   Partners (Private/Possibly Mature) I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 16, 2011 7:46 pm

He may not have felt up for it, but the words coming out of Ethan’s mouth made sense. They did have a job to do. Joel nodded, his expression solemn. As Ethan moved towards the door, Joel took a glance to his partner’s desk to see his own reports open. (He…for me?) The friendly gesture took him back a step, but only because it seemed ugly now. Ethan felt bad for him. Sympathy. Pity. (I don’t need any of that shit. Not anymore, and not from him) The younger man stiffened up and squared his shoulders, stomping out behind Ethan. The slightest tinge of venom coated his voice as he called to his partner. “So where are we headed this time? It better get us more than shoddy answers and shady clues.”
Back to top Go down
Muzical-Echo

Muzical-Echo

PostSubject: Re: Partners (Private/Possibly Mature)   Partners (Private/Possibly Mature) I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 16, 2011 7:57 pm

Leading the way out to the car, Ethan didn’t bother to look back at Joel. He knew he’d have to tell him that the reports were mostly, done, but he would first think of a way to approach it. Just blatantly saying “I did your work” would surely piss off the young man, and he wasn’t much interested in having the little egotistical brat sulking. At the same time, phrasing it sympathetically would probably raise as much malice. “We’re heading to the morgue first to see what they have to say, then I was thinking about heading to the high school to speak to the girl, Maybe we’ll get lucky and she’ll be honest,” he answered as he leaned against the car door, waiting. Climbing inside, he started the car and added, “I did some of your reports. It looks better if we both turn in the paperwork at the same time, so I figured for my sake, I’d help you out.” Waiting until Joel was buckled in, he backed out and began driving, adding, “I hope you don’t mind me watching out for myself.”
Back to top Go down
OmniLegends

OmniLegends

PostSubject: Re: Partners (Private/Possibly Mature)   Partners (Private/Possibly Mature) I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 16, 2011 8:17 pm

Joel opted to look out the window, biting back the scathing response he had in mind, instead giving Ethan something barely less virulent in lieu of it. His scornful tone remained, however, as he slowly turned back to reply. “Help me learn, teach me, fine, but stay away from my work. I can do it myself. Much as you don’t believe me, I’m not a kid who needs someone to hold his hand. And if you’re looking to save yourself, don’t use me as your excuse. Whatever’s wrong with me, I’m not looking to throw myself into anyone else’s arms. Kick me up and show me the gates, ‘cause I’d rather work dead in heaven than rest easy in hell. We clear Whitestone?” Joel attempted to keep a stern face the whole way through, but it dropped a bit early, taking some of the power in his voice with it. Though even as the words left his mouth, regret surged through him too late. The damage was done and there was no changing the past. Not to mention attempting an apology at this point was far too much of a blow to his hubris to allow.
Back to top Go down
Muzical-Echo

Muzical-Echo

PostSubject: Re: Partners (Private/Possibly Mature)   Partners (Private/Possibly Mature) I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 16, 2011 8:23 pm

“Understood, Collins.I won’t coddle you. Next time you want to sleep at your desk, I’ll let the boys at the station be,” Ethan told him, his voice dry. His eyes flicked over to Joel just once, but his expression didn’t change from the stoic, serious expression he always wore. He wasn’t offended by the words, though one would not have known that from his tone face. It was easy to feel like you had to prove yourself, especially when you were young and new to the area. With no friends to help him out, Joel was probably struggling to find his feet. Nodding to himself, Ethan decided that he was just making it more difficult for his partner, and not doing anything was just as easy, especially since he wasn’t keen on doing someone else’s work. Glancing at him once again, he added, “But in that case, Collins, I will need your word that if you don’t understand something or you aren’t confident that you can handle something, you will alert me. There is a lot more at stake in our job than just getting low marks.” The older officer did not want to add the comment, but he knew it was necessary. He did not want to see his partner risk his life over something stupid just to prove himself. The kid tossing his lunch yesterday had proven that he needed at least some guidance.
Back to top Go down
OmniLegends

OmniLegends

PostSubject: Re: Partners (Private/Possibly Mature)   Partners (Private/Possibly Mature) I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 16, 2011 8:38 pm

“I wouldn’t have it any other way.” The edge in his voice was still there, but Joel was content with his partner’s answer. There was little he could do to quit the curl of his lips as he heard the acceptance. Even Ethan’s second remark didn’t bother him very much. The understanding was made clear in his words. Ethan would advise if it was asked of him, and that was the extent of it. Joel would make certain of that. A moment’s hesitation filled the space between the pair before Joel added, “I know I’m going backwards here, but I’m grateful you kept them away. The way I was, I might’ve started swinging if anyone but you got me. I’ll call it even between us for that, sound good?”
Back to top Go down
Muzical-Echo

Muzical-Echo

PostSubject: Re: Partners (Private/Possibly Mature)   Partners (Private/Possibly Mature) I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 16, 2011 8:42 pm

Rolling his eyes, Ethan told him, “Whatever helps you sleep at night, kid.” Tacking on “kid” as a nickname made Ethan cringe. He could call the newbie a kid in his mind, but calling him kid was different and it bothered him. For the life of him, he couldn’t even explain why he had slipped up and said it, but he promised himself not to do it again. There were too many tragedies in his life that had played out the same. Glancing at a road sign, he asked nonchalantly, “So, what made you want to be a detective? You’re a smart kid, according to you at least. Why not a scientist that could figure out how to fix these people, rather than just put them in cages?” The trip to the morgue was annoyingly far. Often, Ethan had raised an issue over this, but this time it gave him a chance to get to know his partner, which was better done sooner than later. He wanted to know that the man who had his back would actually have his back.
Back to top Go down
OmniLegends

OmniLegends

PostSubject: Re: Partners (Private/Possibly Mature)   Partners (Private/Possibly Mature) I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 16, 2011 9:05 pm

Joel paid no heed to the nickname, giving his partner a quick response. “My dad always told me he wanted me to be like him. Said being a cop did him a lot of good. Before he died, he always gave me this look that told me more than words that he was proud I did like he said. Makes me wish my parents had made it to me getting through the academy. I’m not sniffing over it though.” A shrug punctuated his story. “Like father, like son right? Besides, kids can’t play with all those dangerous, fun chemicals, so why bother?” The younger man wasn't in much of a mood to talk about the past, but if the man he'd be spending the next who-knows-how-long with wanted to know something, he should probably know. At least, that's the reasoning Joel used to reply at all.
Back to top Go down
Muzical-Echo

Muzical-Echo

PostSubject: Re: Partners (Private/Possibly Mature)   Partners (Private/Possibly Mature) I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 17, 2011 8:46 am

“Sorry to hear about your parents,” Ethan said, his voice a bit softer than usual. Chuckling, he nodded and remarked, “I suppose they can’t. Never made much sense why they don’t let them, though. We’ll be in charge of everything soon enough. Might as well get us used to the job while they are still kicking around to give us pointers.”

Pulling up at the morgue, he climbed out. Leaning back in, he assured Joel, “We won’t go near the body. Occasionally, Monty will want to show you what he is talking about when he gives the report, but I asked just for the paper this time. I figure I should tell you now, so that you don’t realize later that I coddled you.”

It almost looked like he winked, but it was hard to be sure as Ethan turned away and headed for the door. It was all too likely that he found Joel’s protests humorous. After all, he had broken in more than one new guy and broken quite a few. He didn’t mind scaring kids away from it though. Being a detective was generally lonely and sucked. You could only do so much with the hours in a day, and if your personal life took the back burner, relationships suffered, but if your work life took the back burner, work suffered, and that was inexcusable. He would rather break them early than say goodbye to a friend later.

Walking in, he glanced around before leading the way down a hallway. There were a few people walking around, all doing their own work. A few paused at the new face, but most kept at it, preoccupied and self involved. Reaching the door he was looking for, he held it open and gestured for Joel to go in first. Inside was a neat office, organized beyond belief, but looking decidedly unused. Except for the desk, it looked as though nothing else was frequently touched. There was no one in there, so Ethan took a seat in one of the chairs in front of the desk. Glancing at Joel, he told him, “It might be a minute. Monty will hear from the staff that we’re here, so there is no point in wondering about looking for him.”
Back to top Go down
OmniLegends

OmniLegends

PostSubject: Re: Partners (Private/Possibly Mature)   Partners (Private/Possibly Mature) I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 17, 2011 4:53 pm

Joel flinched when Ethan mentioned the scene from the day before, playing it over in his head. Shaking the memories away, he turned back to his partner. “I think I can manage. I just wasn’t ready. I can take anything if I’m prepared, and bodies are no exception.” He flashed a little smile, the rest of the ride was quiet.

The younger man trailed behind Ethan, looking around the morgue. Gauging the layout, he familiarized himself with the structure as the pair passed through, trying to remember the faces he saw and the placement of rooms. He was obviously going to be here more than he’d like, so there was no point in looking lost should he ever be alone.

Joel just nodded to his partner’s comment, following his example and taking a seat. “So what’s this Monty guy like?”
Back to top Go down
Muzical-Echo

Muzical-Echo

PostSubject: Re: Partners (Private/Possibly Mature)   Partners (Private/Possibly Mature) I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 17, 2011 5:13 pm

Ethan stood up when Joel asked the question. Stretching and padding around the room, he poked at a few odds and ends that were displayed on the bookshelf. There were filing cabinets, one bookcase, and potted plants arranged around the room.

“Monty is...” Ethan paused, to think of a word that captured the eccentric man. While Monty was doubtlessly good at his work, no normal person got into the field in the first place. Monty’s abnormality was hidden well from the naked eye, but Ethan had developed a friendship with the man over the few years he had been working with him. Now, he knew how truly bizarre some people could be, while still managing to pretend they were sane. Looking once more at Joel, he decided out loud, “Monty is a very unique person that is hard to offend, which is probably a very good thing.”

“What’s a good thing?” someone asked as the door swung open. The man that walked in was only a year or so older than Ethan. He had curly, blackish brown hair that was standing up at angles that were barely believable. There was a pair of heavy spectacles on his face that was still turned towards several papers as he brushed passed the two officers. Plopping down at his desk, he cast aside the papers and looked up at Joel. “You’re the new guy, right? I am Monty. I have a last name, but it is sworn to secrecy. Anyway, we’re here for something serious so let’s get down to business.”

“Monty, Joel. Joel, Monty,” Ethan said, sitting back down, a faint smile on his face.

It disappeared as Monty clapped his hands loudly and then began to give them the details. The end conclusion was a very simple: “He shot himself.”
Back to top Go down
OmniLegends

OmniLegends

PostSubject: Re: Partners (Private/Possibly Mature)   Partners (Private/Possibly Mature) I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 17, 2011 6:12 pm

“Charmed,” Joel said, the pleasant tone in his voice not matching his grim expression as he shook the mortician’s hand. Sitting back down, the younger man paid a keen eye as Monty told the story, though as he droned on revealing no new information, Joel’s attention drifted to his partner. Of all things, the focus drifted to Ethan’s steely eyes, something he hadn’t noticed yesterday. They looked like they could pierce a man and his lies faster than a bullet, and had done so before. But they didn’t seem cold to Joel. He shrugged it off.

As the meeting came to end. Joel stood, stretching out. Looking at Ethan, he signaled a return to the car, thoughts whirling as another potential lead came to a grinding halt. Outside, Joel took a moment to straighten his coat to better keep out the winter chill. “Looks like we’re running out of options here. I assume we’re headed for the girl’s high school unless you have a better plan in mind?
Back to top Go down
Muzical-Echo

Muzical-Echo

PostSubject: Re: Partners (Private/Possibly Mature)   Partners (Private/Possibly Mature) I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 17, 2011 6:25 pm

Ethan nodded along, not surprised by anything, but still focusing intently on Monty. By the time his friend had reached his conclusion, he wasn’t sure if he was relieved that it was over or annoyed that it had taken so long. In reality, it took less than five minutes, but the repetition of what he thought he knew made it feel tiring. Then again, it was just a tiring day for him. He needed a long weekend, but he wasn’t due for one for another six days. It made him wonder why he had asked for all of the extra days. It wasn’t like he needed the money.

Standing up, he took Monty’s hand, thanking him and speaking with him for a moment, until he noticed Joel’s signal that he wanted to leave. With a half smile, he made vague promises about going for drinks some time and then followed him out to the car. Leaning against the door, rather than climbing straight in, he lit a cigarette as he told him, “That was what I wanted to do from the start. This is a suicide. That much is obvious. I just want to know why it wasn’t an open and close case.” Taking a drag, he held the poisonous fumes in his lungs for a moment, before adding with a smile, “Though, if you have an ideas. I am all ears.”
Back to top Go down
OmniLegends

OmniLegends

PostSubject: Re: Partners (Private/Possibly Mature)   Partners (Private/Possibly Mature) I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 17, 2011 6:38 pm

Joel took a moment to answer, fixated on the carcinogenic. Old news for sure, but it was still bothersome to see. “It still irks me. No weapon. Last time I checked, corpses didn’t just throw away the thing that killed them. And where did the kid run to when he left? Away from home, but headed where? It looks like a suicide, but the best murders usually do, don’t they? I just…” Joel heaved a sigh, turning his face down. “I just don’t believe it.”
Back to top Go down
Muzical-Echo

Muzical-Echo

PostSubject: Re: Partners (Private/Possibly Mature)   Partners (Private/Possibly Mature) I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 17, 2011 6:46 pm

“I do, but I’ve been around enough addicts-which is toxins report confirm to be true-so it is possible he ran just to try and get his hands on a fix. I know whe...I know someone that ran away from home just to be a whore so they could get their fix,” Ethan told him with a shrug. “Great parents, caring community, and still went down the wrong path.” Taking another drag, he gazed at the cherry thoughtfully before adding, “Maybe he did get killed though, cheating someone somewhere, but then I doubt that they’d given much time to covering it up.” Slowly, he took another slow draw from the cigarette, trying to finish the cancerous stick as quickly as possible so that they could get on their way.
Back to top Go down
OmniLegends

OmniLegends

PostSubject: Re: Partners (Private/Possibly Mature)   Partners (Private/Possibly Mature) I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 17, 2011 7:04 pm

Joel’s frustration built, shaking his head. “Running for his fix, fine. Killing him for screwing someone over, just dandy. But nothing we’ve come upon can explain the weapon being gone. Only so many could’ve taken it, and we’ve got nothing pointing any which way.” Joel pinched the bridge of his nose, adding, “Just hurry up so we can get this show on the road.”
Back to top Go down
Muzical-Echo

Muzical-Echo

PostSubject: Re: Partners (Private/Possibly Mature)   Partners (Private/Possibly Mature) I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 17, 2011 7:16 pm

Shrugging, Ethan finished the cigarette, lifting his foot to put the butt out on his heel. Flicking it into a garbage bin, he remarked, “Let’s go see if we can find out.” Climbing into the car, he buckled himself in, waiting for Joel to do the same, and then started driving. “I have this harebrained idea that you’re going to be rather disappointed by the results,” he added, almost thoughtfully. He was careful navigating out of the parking lot and down the street. The high school was rather close to the morgue, at least compared to the police station. It took only a few minutes to reach the parking lot, and as soon as they had, Ethan turned the engine off and glanced at Joel. “I need you to be nice to this girl,” he told him. “I know that is obvious, but I think she is hiding something and snarling at her won’t help a thing.”
Back to top Go down
OmniLegends

OmniLegends

PostSubject: Re: Partners (Private/Possibly Mature)   Partners (Private/Possibly Mature) I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 17, 2011 7:57 pm

Joel covered his mouth mock offense. “Me? Unkind to a lady? Sir, surely you jest.” He had a smile on as the pair neared the building, falling back onto a confident, but not cocky attitude. I assume you have a plan to get her out to talk to us. Otherwise I think we’ve got a lot of waiting to do.”
Back to top Go down
Muzical-Echo

Muzical-Echo

PostSubject: Re: Partners (Private/Possibly Mature)   Partners (Private/Possibly Mature) I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 17, 2011 8:03 pm

“I can usually get kids to talk to me,” Ethan said confidently. Walking into the building, he flashed his badge to the security guard. In an undertone, he murmured, “I can remember when schools didn’t need that.” Heading towards the office, he kept his badge handy and showed anyone that looked at them with interest. Reaching the receptionist, he showed it to her and asked, “Can you call Trinia Ward to the office?”

The secretary was already dialing as she asked, “She ain’t in any kind of trouble, now is she?”

Shaking his head, Ethan assured the blonde woman, “We just want to talk to her.”

“Al’ight. Ya’ll just have a seat and she’ll be up in a moment,” the secretary told him, nodding towards the uncomfortable office chairs.

Deciding to let the woman do her job in peace, he walked over to the chairs, choosing to lean against the wall rather than sit. Looking at the ceiling, he said, “I bet I can get her to tell us the truth within two hours.” It was stated in a matter of fact tone, and his face betrayed no amusement. He was dead serious about the bet, convinced he could get the girl to come clean that quickly.
Back to top Go down
OmniLegends

OmniLegends

PostSubject: Re: Partners (Private/Possibly Mature)   Partners (Private/Possibly Mature) I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 17, 2011 9:00 pm

Joel, opting to take the seat, relaxed. Lumpy as they were, they beat the hell out of standing. As Ethan walked back, Joel took one look at his expression and looked into the face of a true detective. Shrewd, intelligent, unstoppable, and ready to do almost anything to get his man. (Or woman I guess) Joel idly thought. Despite Ethan’s obvious no-nonsense attitude at the moment, Joel got an idea that he couldn’t resist sharing, grinning before he even said it. “How about we make an actual bet then?”
Back to top Go down
Muzical-Echo

Muzical-Echo

PostSubject: Re: Partners (Private/Possibly Mature)   Partners (Private/Possibly Mature) I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 17, 2011 9:03 pm

Ethan glanced over at him, his expression thoughtful. For a moment, it looked like he was going to shoot him down, tell him that it was a stupid thing to bet over. Instead, he smiled slightly and asked, “What do you want to wager? Make certain it isn’t something that you are keen on losing.” The soft arrogance...no, it was true confidence. There was nothing arrogant about how he believed in himself. He knew that he could get what he wanted from that girl, and knew that he could do it relatively quick. He had spoken with her only briefly the day before, but he was almost certain what keys to play, and when he did play, it was to win.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Partners (Private/Possibly Mature)   Partners (Private/Possibly Mature) I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Partners (Private/Possibly Mature)
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next